The authorities have stated that they wish to remove diesel vehicles from Madrid by 2025.
There are two different types of emergency scheme
- alternating number plate
- heavy duty vehicle restrictions on specific streets.
Dates and details
Alternating number plate scheme
• Madrid has a pollution alert scheme restricting access to roads inside the M30 on days of high pollution, from six in the morning. There are 3 levels of pollution alert, “Notice”, “Warning” and “Alert”.
To check what the air quality is in Madrid right now, go here.
There are four different scheme phases, depending on the levels of pollution alert above. The four phases are explained below.
• Main cavalcade (Dist Centr rit years or, Salamanca and Retiro): 16:30 - 22:30 on January 5, 2017.
• Chamartin district: 16:00 - 21 on 3 January 2017.
• District of San Blas-Canillejas: 16:30 - 21 on 4 January 2017.
• District of Fuencarral El Pardo: 16:30 - 21:30 hours on January 4, 2017. Note that in this same district another Cavalcade on the Barrio de Las Tablas is 16:30 – 20:00 on January 5, 2017.
• Usera district: the 16 - 21 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Ciudad Lineal District: 17 - 23 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Moratalaz District: 16:30 - 22 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Villa de Vallecas district: 16:30 - 22 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Villaverde District: the 17 - 22:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Hortaleza district: the 17 - 22:15 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Latina District: 16 - 23 hours on 5 January 2017.
• Carabanchel district: the 16 - 20 hours on 5 January 2017.
• Vicálvaro District: 16:30 - 20:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Barajas District: 17 - 22 hours on 5 January 2017.
• District of Puente de Vallecas: the 17 - 20:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
All vehicles, except commercial and emergency services.
Type of restriction
Emergency access restriction in times of high pollution.
Madrid public transport
Madrid municiplity, within the M-30, the M-40 and the entry roads to Madrid.
key: the 5 zones of Madrid
key: red lines is the motorway encircling Madrid
Road sign for speed limit in the scheme
Foreign vehicles affected?
Yes, are affected.
Hours of operation
During prolonged pollution events for PM or NO2 from 06:00 - 24:00.
It was in operation from 24-25th December 2016
Exemptions to the prohibition of parking:
Exemptions to the odd and even numberplate scheme:
Local name for the scheme
El nuevo Protocolo para Episodios de Alta Contaminación por NO2
Further details of the scheme
Madrid city website for alternating number plate scheme
Madrid city website heavy goods vehicle restriction
Madrid city website Christmas car regulations