Madrid has various schemes in place: a low emission zone, an access regulation, an emergency scheme and a weight regulation.
There are two different types of emergency scheme
- alternating number plate
- heavy duty vehicle restrictions on specific streets.
Madrid is one of 4 cities that have stated they wish to remove diesel vehicles from the city. As part of this, the city plans to increase the numbers of access restrictions for private cars. The Grand Via is planned to be car-free by summer 2019.
There is also a plan to have a zero emission zone by 2025. It may be a traffic-free area. More details will be here when they are available.
Alternating number plate scheme
• Madrid has a pollution alert scheme restricting access to roads inside the M30 on days of high pollution, from six in the morning. There are 3 levels of pollution alert, “Notice”, “Warning” and “Alert”.
To check what the air quality is in Madrid right now, go here.
There are four different scheme phases, depending on the levels of pollution alert above. The four phases are explained below.
• Main cavalcade (Dist Centr rit years or, Salamanca and Retiro): 16:30 - 22:30 on January 5, 2017.
• Chamartin district: 16:00 - 21 on 3 January 2017.
• District of San Blas-Canillejas: 16:30 - 21 on 4 January 2017.
• District of Fuencarral El Pardo: 16:30 - 21:30 hours on January 4, 2017. Note that in this same district another Cavalcade on the Barrio de Las Tablas is 16:30 – 20:00 on January 5, 2017.
• Usera district: the 16 - 21 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Ciudad Lineal District: 17 - 23 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Moratalaz District: 16:30 - 22 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Villa de Vallecas district: 16:30 - 22 hours on 4 January 2017.
• Villaverde District: the 17 - 22:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Hortaleza district: the 17 - 22:15 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Latina District: 16 - 23 hours on 5 January 2017.
• Carabanchel district: the 16 - 20 hours on 5 January 2017.
• Vicálvaro District: 16:30 - 20:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
• Barajas District: 17 - 22 hours on 5 January 2017.
• District of Puente de Vallecas: the 17 - 20:30 hours on January 5, 2017.
All vehicles, except commercial and emergency services.
Emergency access restriction in times of high pollution.
Madrid municiplity, within the M-30, the M-40 and the entry roads to Madrid.
key: the 5 zones of Madrid
key: red lines is the motorway encircling Madrid
Road sign for speed limit in the scheme
Yes, are affected.
During prolonged pollution events for PM or NO2 from 06:00 - 24:00.
It was in operation from 24-25th December 2016
Spain now has four emission stickers.The cities can use them also for incentives or bans of certain vehicles.
Putting the sticker on your windshild is voluntary - as the scheme is camera enforced.
Exemptions to the prohibition of parking:
Exemptions to the odd and even numberplate scheme:
El nuevo Protocolo para Episodios de Alta Contaminación por NO2