The road charging scheme is cordon based. The vehicle is charged when crossing into the area, enforced with cameras at the entrance of the scheme.
Dates and details
Monday to Friday from 08:00 - 18:00
All vehicle types, except motorcycles. Exempted vehicles are given below.
There is no charge for vehicles accessing the zone after 14:00 on weekdays and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Key: shaded red area = CVA area.
Need to Register?
Details of how to pay
An automated system calculates the duration of the visit and bills registered owners accordingly.
Payment by post (via cheque)
Payment at the CVA office in Marsa (during dedicated office hours)
Payment at the Valletta local council.
Website about how to pay. Address for postal contact or to visit the offices:
Foreign vehicles affected?
Yes, are affected.
Camera through an Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system.
Cordon scheme, charged when crossing into the area, enforced with cameras at the entrance of the scheme.
If you do not pay in the first 30 days the charge increases by 2% or €5.82, whichever is higher.
If you have not paid the charge after 60 days, the charge increases by an additional 2% in the next 30 days.
Payment after 90 days of the first invoice the charge increases by 100%.
* Electric vehicles
* Public transport vehicles
* Emergency and security vehicles
* Disabled car owners working in Valletta
The following need to apply at the Valletta Local Council to be exempted. Details on each application can be found in the 'Procedures for applying for exemptions':
* Residents’ relatives’ vehicles
* Owners of vehicles using private garages or off-street parking areas
* Vehicles owned by people with special needs
* Monti hawkers
* Regular deliveries
* Urgent works
* Other emergency vehicles used by service providers in the electricity, water, drainage and communication sectors
* Access for Vehicles used by doctors that practice regularly in Valletta
For further details look here
Are there reductions for certain vehicles (eg cleaner / smaller vehicles)?:
Reductions for multi trips or residents etc?
Local name for the scheme
Valletta city website